Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Should the Law Force Women to Take Their Husbands' Last Name?

One of the earliest "gender" moments I can recall from childhood involved me questioning why my mother's last name differed from her brothers' and my cousins'. "She's married." That was the simple answer that failed to compute. My response: "So is Uncle _____." My early lawyering gave way to the inevitable "stop asking so many questions," and I let it go.

A new survey released today indicates that young social rebels will likely continue asking some version of my question for generations to come. According to a survey by the American Sociological Association, 70 percent of Americans believe that a woman should take the last name of her spouse. 50 percent believe that the law should mandate this change. Now that's big government!

Sources:

USA Today
Salon.Com
NY Daily News

No comments:

Post a Comment